Children’s Faith Formation
The Sheil School of Religion is a religious education program for children ages 4 through 13. Sheil students are the teachers — sharing their faith with a younger generation, as well as gaining valuable service and teaching experience. Our dedicated parents also oversee the logistics of our CCD program.
Northwestern Students Interested in Teaching
We are looking for new teachers to join in teaching as part of Sheil's School of Religion for the 2021-2022 academic year. If you are a first-year student or haven't taught in our program before, we will pair you with a veteran student teacher. All undergraduate and graduate Northwestern students are invited to teach in the Sheil School of Religion. No previous experience is necessary. Students make a one hour commitment each Sunday, but are not expected to teach when Northwestern University is on break. Teachers work in teams of two or three for each grade.
If you would like to be a teacher, please contact Tim Higgins at firstname.lastname@example.org or 847.328.4648. You will then be asked to attend a Virtus Training Session (online) for the prevention of abuse within 60 days of beginning to teach. You must sign up for a Virtus session online here (click on “Virtus Training,” click on “Start Registration,” then follow the instructions to sign up for the Sheil Catholic Center session).
Parents of Sheil School of Religion Students
We look forward to walking with your child on their journey of faith! The Sheil School of Religion is open to any family who has registered at Sheil at least 12 months prior to enrolling their child in the Sheil School of Religion. Exceptions may be made for families who have moved to Evanston in the 12 months prior to enrollment. Students, faculty, and staff of Northwestern University will not be subject to this condition and may enroll their child at any time.
Basic information and details can be found below, as well as in the Parents’ Handbook.
- Duration - Classes run from Sunday, October 17, 2021 until early May.
- Enrollment Period - While Sheil has one single enrollment period prior to the start of fall classes, the School of Religion is open for registration to Northwestern students, faculty and affiliates at any time.
- Mass Attendance - Students are expected to attend Mass either before or after class, as this is necessary for their full faith development.
- Parent Meeting - All parents must attend the parent meeting in the beginning of the year.
- Sacraments - Sheil’s School of Religion also provides sacramental preparation: second graders prepare for First Reconciliation and First Communion, and eighth graders prepare for Confirmation. Sacraments are celebrated in late winter to early spring.
- Registration - Parents must register their child(ren) and pay tuition before the start of classes, in order to provide accurate class lists to our teachers.
Classes will take place in person this year and masks are required for all. Download the Sheil School of Religion Handbook for details, including requirements for sacramental preparation. Please note that this is last year's handbook. All parents are responsible for reading the handbook and volunteering time to help the school run smoothly; various volunteer opportunities are listed in the handbook.
For more information, to teach a class, or to enroll your child in the Sheil School of Religion, please contact Tim Higgins at email@example.com or 847.328.4648.