Children’s Faith Formation
The Sheil School of Religion is a religious education program for children ages 4 through 13/pre-K through 8th grades. Sheil students are the teachers — sharing their faith with a younger generation, as well as gaining valuable service and teaching experience. Our dedicated parents also oversee the logistics of our Sheil School of Religion program.
Northwestern Students Interested in Teaching
We are looking for new teachers to join in teaching as part of Sheil's School of Religion for the 2023-2024 academic year. If you are a first-year student or haven't taught in our program before, we will pair you with a student who has taught before. All undergraduate and graduate Northwestern students are invited to teach in the Sheil School of Religion. No previous experience is necessary. Students make a one-hour commitment each Sunday, but are not expected to teach when Northwestern University is on break. Teachers work in teams of two or three for each grade.
If you would like to be a teacher, please contact Sister Belinda Monahan, OSB via email here or 847.328.4648. You will then be asked to attend a Virtus Training Session (online) for the prevention of abuse within 60 days of beginning to teach. You must sign up for a Virtus session online here (click on “Virtus Training,” click on “Start Registration,” then follow the instructions to sign up for the Sheil Catholic Center session).
Parents of Sheil School of Religion Students
We look forward to walking with your child on their journey of faith! The Sheil School of Religion is open to any family who has registered at Sheil at least 12 months prior to enrolling their child in the Sheil School of Religion. Students, faculty, and staff of Northwestern University may enroll their child at any time.
Basic information and details can be found below, as well as in the Parents’ Handbook.
- Duration - Classes run from early-October until May (first day of classes is October 8, 2023)
- Enrollment Period - While Sheil has one single enrollment period prior to the start of fall classes, the School of Religion is open for registration to Northwestern students, faculty and affiliates at any time.
- Attendance - Class takes place on Sundays beginning at 9:30 with Mass, followed by grade-appropriate meetings.
- Parent Involvement - All parents must attend the parent meeting in the beginning of the year. All parents are responsible for reading the handbook and volunteering time to help the school run smoothly; various volunteer opportunities are listed in the handbook.
- Sacraments - Sheil School of Religion provides sacramental preparation: second graders prepare for First Reconciliation and First Communion, and seventh and eighth graders participate in a two-year program to prepare for Confirmation. Sacraments are celebrated in late winter to early spring.
- Registration - Parents must register their child(ren) and pay tuition before the start of classes, in order to provide accurate class lists to our teachers. Tution is $110 for the first child in the family and $90 for each additional child. The link for payment is within the registration form at the button below. Please contact Sister Belinda if you have any questions.
For more information, to teach a class, or to enroll your child in the Sheil School of Religion, please contact Sister Belinda Monahan, OSB via email here or 847.328.4648.